Monday, February 21, 2011

Que Sera, Sera

"'Que sera, sera...Whatever will be, will be."
Wise words from Sly & The Family Stone. That's the new attitude I'm applying to life abroad. Sure, there are plenty of reasons to dwell in negativity; Being homesick, losing my cellphone in a sheep field, my ipod breaking for no reason, or even a disagreement with roommates. I have to admit, I have been wading in the shallow end of the negative pool for the past few weeks. I didn't think there was anything I could do about it until it hit me. 

For every negative aspect of my day - every thought, mistake or snide remark - there is an overwhelming amount of reasons to be positive. Hell, I'm in Europe and no amount of negative energy can bring me down. Whether it's coming from an internal or external source is no matter because I'm leavin it alone - whatever will be, will be. Thanks Sly - You are the man.



 On that note I think it's time to share some pictures from our school trip to Northern Ireland - A trip that surprised me for so many reasons. Mostly because standing over the unexpected edges of steep cliffs and viewing the stunning coastline of Northern Ireland, I found myself in a state that I can only describe as the happiest I have been since arriving in Europe.

Stumbling upon this view before dinner


Maybe it's this positive thinking mantra I've got goin' on - or maybe it's the beauty that surrounded us. I guess staying in a cozy seaside village tucked into the folds of country hills doesn't exactly seem like the appropriate setting for petty complaints or a miserable bout of homesickness. 

Ballintoy Harbor


 We learned about The Troubles during a political tour of Northern Ireland given by men whom experienced the violence firsthand, with the help of public murals telling the fascinating and frightfully modern story.
Mural remembering the hunger strikes in 1980
We were also taken to Giant's Causeway, a spectacular geological phenomenon where we stopped for a quick Environmental Earth Science lesson :)

Champlainers at Giant's Causeway
View of Giants Causeway from the top
 I think this past trip to Northern Ireland helped me realize just how remarkably lucky I am to be able to experience this at such a time in my life, with the support of friends at home and those on this trip. 

Just climbing on a castle - no big deal.

How many students- whether Irish, American or any other ethnicity- can say their college has arranged this many excursions and opportunities for them. We were able to learn firsthand about Ireland's Troubles from men who experienced the struggle. Our accommodations were in an adorable seaside village which covets astonishing coastal views as well as sprawling sheep fields (where a girl just might be tempted to frolic a bit too enthusiastically and lose her mobile phone...), and the Carrick-a-Rede bridge - a 65 foot rope bridge suspending tourists over a 100 ft chasm. After the bridge and a quick hike we were taken to Giant's Causeway to view the curious and captivating geological composition as part of our Enviro Science lab for this week. As if all these activities weren't stimulating enough our final excursion was Dunluce Castle, where some of us took the opportunity to stretch our legs by climbing and crawling around some ancient ruins. Thank you Champlain - Stephen, Lilly and Clare for organizing the Northern Ireland trip.

It's hard for me to be in a sour mood when I realize how incredibly lucky I am to be sharing this experience with good people,  got a fancy new replacement phone for the one stolen by those sheep and a shiny new ipod came in the mail. 

There's nothing like a little perspective eh?

Signing of the Peacewall in Belfast

1 comment:

  1. A little perspective! The winter can get me down in the States, but then I think about the spring that's almost here, and smiles abound! May the spring greet you as warmly there as it does here, Swan.

    ReplyDelete