Wednesday, February 9, 2011

London High Society, Indeed.

As of last Friday I have entered a period of consistent travel. Last weekend I could have been found 'minding the gap' on The Tube (London's underground transportation system) and gallivanting around Piccadilly Circus. As of tomorrow evening I shall be wandering the cobblestone streets of Stockholm and hopefully indulging in the most delicious (and probably the most expensive) cocktail of my life at the Stockholm Ice Bar. The weekend after Champlain is bringing us to Northern Ireland to get a better understanding of the politics dividing the Island. 

Constantly traveling, or preparing for travel, could make it easy to forget the experiences and joys of earlier trips. Instead of confirming travel plans for Sweden (we haven't quite pinned down our accommodations - woops), I'm going to backtrack to my holiday in London. 

Big Ben

After arriving in Stanstead, and napping through the 1.5 hour ride into the city, Lora and I arrived at her friend's flat to drop off our bags. We hopped back on The Tube, walked down Gloucester Road (where Lora lived last semester), bought some Champagne and headed to The London Eye to enjoy some British mimosas :) 
Champagne + Ruby Breakfast Juice (w/ bits!)= Proper Mimosa * photo cred LoraCogs*

Then of course we had to cross the bridge to see Westminster Abby and Big Ben, and it wouldn't be a proper holiday without taking awkward pictures with a few statues and monuments.
Westminster Abby & Big Ben
Lora's new friends

& My new friends.

In addition to visiting statues of memorialized dump em's, we also saw Buckingham Palace, Portobello Market, Piccadilly Circus, St. James Cathedral, Whole Foods, and may have snuck into the London Hilton...

All in all London was a beautiful, tidy and expensive city. Londoners do not smile and the public transportation system is the most cohesive and pleasant I have ever experienced. I enjoyed the best Bloody Mary I have ever had the privilege of indulging in -sorry mom yours are a close second :)- and became quite fond of the refined accents. I can understand why Lora loved this city so much and I hope to go back someday, but with a larger bank account :)

I guess it's now time to prepare for Sweden 
* photo cred LoraCogs*
"Roses are red, Violets are blue
My Valentine is green, How about you?!"

1 comment: