Monday, March 21, 2011

Ballin' out in Budapest

Springbreak 2011 began on Saturday evening, when our plane touched down in Budapest. After fumbling with the ATM buttons and getting thoroughly confused with exchange rates (Hungarian Forints>Euros>Dollars) we hopped in a taxi and headed to The Goat Hostel. Needless to say, I was not too impressed with the place, or maybe I was just discouraged with the sketchy dark entrance, since we checked in at night. Walking into the front foyer did remind me of some Eastern European horror movie...so I did a quick internet search and found a hotel outside of the city center & close to the thermal baths, for the same price of the hostel. We stayed in Goat Hostel for one night and after an indulgent breakfast checked into our second accommodations, and headed to the thermal baths. 

Hero's Square - on the way to the thermal baths
 We went to the Szechenyi baths on Sunday. The public baths were remarkable - what a scene! All types of people frolicking and relaxing in giant heated pools. There were outdoor and indoor pools and after a few mimosas I decided to indulge in a pedicure, foot massage and back massage as well. If I thought I was a princess in Sweden that I must have dreamed of being a Hungarian queen. Seriously though, after all that champagne and relaxation I managed to fall asleep as an old Hungarian woman massaged my feet. After getting properly pampered I floated into the thermal baths and soaked in the mineral waters.


Loungin' in the baths

Lunch on the island

The next day we went to the indoor market and ate up several hours of our day and a decent chunk of our spending money on hundreds of little shopping booths. We also took a river cruise tour down the Danube River and opted out of the electronic headphone tour in order to climb up to the roof and enjoy the sunshine. We took in some breathtaking views of statues and buildings and got off the boat at Margaret Island for lunch. Here we enjoyed a little lunch of bread, cheese and mimosas and laid in the grass. After wards we hustled to the nearest cafe for a little baileys and coffee pick-me-up and then climbed the hill to the highest point in Budapest, The Liberation Monument.



The thermal baths were the highlight of my time in Budapest, although the chicken paprikas was delish. Obviously if you've read my previous rant you know I struggled with not getting to explore the nightlife. The days were full of sightseeing and day-drinking but the nights were clearly not living up to my expectations of springbreak. Thankfully all that changed in Prague ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment