Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Sunsets at Alpine & Sunrise over Niagara Falls

Cheesin' Out
After the camping chaos at Deer Creek, we opted for the hotel route at Alpine Valley. Last minute hotel organization on tour can be tricky, but with help from new and old friends we scored a reservation and could afford to stay at the Marriot - Glorious beds, showers, and super heady food. It was 45 minutes away from the venue but hell, we were in Wisconsin. 

The Alpine shows lived up to the hype I had been hearing and Waterwheel killed it just like the band. Fans were feeling extra generous and the autographed posters went as quick as you could say Jiboo. This was great news for The Hunger Task Force of Milwaukee, the non-profit group Waterwheel hosted for the shows. I had no idea that Milwaukee is one of the poorest cities in the nation, but I'm grateful to be apart of such a philanthropic community, raising awareness and support for groups like The Hunger Task Force.

We decided to skip Jones Beach and spend a few days stationary in Burlington before SPAC. B and I left Wisconsin originally intending to break up the drive back to Vt over the course of a few days. Instead, we stopped at a roadside cheese castle, snagged a bunch of snacks and were inspired to drive through the night. We pulled into Niagara Falls an hour before sunrise. After cracking a beer in the parking lot, we wandered around the empty park until sunrise.








I couldn't help but be in awe of the incredible power of water and shed a few tears for a fallen friend who had drowned at a popular Vermont swimming hole just a few days before. I poured out the rest of my gluten free beer with so much love for Rudy and an overwhelming respect/ fear for water. Another looming reminder of just how much control we really have, and that the elements can take it all away in moments. The rest of this trip will be lived through a new lense, with a filter of appreciation for the present, the pleasant and acting with intention.





No comments:

Post a Comment