Thursday, November 10, 2011

Occupation Relations


My last blog post was in Ireland, so it's been a while since I've stepped up to my digital soapbox. There's been plenty to write rant about, but I think life after Dublin left me lacking the motivation to share. I was actually going to retire this blog as only my semester abroad memoirs, but my mind changed today when I saw a video of police brutality at an occupy protest at Berkeley in California. I don't understand why mainstream media isn't covering this, but where CNN and FOX drop the ball, it's our responsibility to pick it up. People need to see what is actually happening and how police forces are reacting. It's absolutely disgusting but check it out for yourselves.


I don't completely grasp the concept of occupy, which is why I'm not camped out in City Hall Park, but one thing that is clear to me is police brutality. These people are students and professors. The job of a police officer is to protect and serve and this video doesn't exactly showcase either of those responsibilities. Who are the protecting and serving? Clearly not the 99%.

Occupy Burlington faced a very serious situation today when a man died in City Hall Park from a self-inflicted gun shot wound. Obviously this will effect the occupy efforts as town officials will have to ask questions and make decisions that could interfere with the movement. 


Read the latest article from the Burlington Free Press here.

I believe in what the Occupy movement stands for, but I can't help be a little turned off when I see videos of police beating student protesters across the country and a suicide in my city's park.

No comments:

Post a Comment