Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Stay up late, shoot the moon



Es el combinacion perfecto.
What a birthday. I didn't think it was possible to top last years birthday debauchery, but somehow the mischief was managed. Special thanks for the birthday gift funding that made it all possible ;) and of course everyone in Barcelona and Dublin who helped me celebrate my 21st.  

Basically I'm obsessed with Barcelona. It was an incredible place; astounding architecture, fun people, good food... quite stimulating on so many levels. I couldn't help but imagine myself living there on some kind of perpetual vacation. We beached it everyday, including a Sunday morning sunrise session with my trusty hula hoop.

The weather was on our side too and it was sunny and warm all weekend. I also managed to jump into the ocean for a hot minute...even though it may have been at 8am and freezing. We ate some tasty tapas and some scrumptious paella too, but mostly we drank lots of champagne. Mas cava con mis amigos. 


Buenos dias Barcelona
What else could a birthday girl ask for? Barcelona was the perfect place to celebrate a 21st birthday. We hiked up to Park Guel and caught an amazing view of the city and then went back to the beach to sip some sangria. The epitome of relaxation. Barcelona was incredibly good to us and the Sunday afternoon flight back to Dublin came too soon. But as always, I was delighted to get home and crawl into my bed. Plus, I had to get at least a little rest in before celebrating my actual birthday on Monday. 


I woke up a little late for school on Monday but there was no way I was rushing anywhere. Eventually I made my way to campus and sat through 2/3 of my Monday classes. That's pretty good compared to previous birthdays when I usually make my only obligation to enjoy and celebrate my life. Anyways, I counted down the minutes until I could grab margaritas and nachos with my roommate and purchased a bottle of Maker's Mark on my way home from school.

Margs at From Mexico to Rome in Temple Bar.


So we celebrated. Hard. Somehow I got a hold of a microphone (uh oh) and butchered a drunken version of 'Wagon Wheel' at Shebeen Chic (aka The Irish counterpart of the Radiobean in Burlington) with Vaughan & St. Bridget, a sweet folk band. Good times, good people, good music.  After that, we headed to the Temple Bar area for some late night tequila shots and some more sloppy renditions of classic songs by The Band.  That's all I got so far. Definitely had a fabulous and [partially] memorable 21st birthday.


Oh and I almost forgot about my birthday cake! Lora found an AMAZING birthday cake shaped like a champagne bottle :) Epic, delicious and remarkably appropriate. I'll leave ya to imagine the almondy ice-creamy goodness while enjoying this Ryan Montbleau song - Only 50 days til Strangecreek!


No comments:

Post a Comment